We can help you with all aspects of making a Will including making a Living Will. If you would like to find out more about Living Wills, take a look at the sections below or simply call us on 0161 749 9000 or click here for a call back for a free, initial discussion with one of our friendly team.
What is a Living Will?
A Living Will (also called a ‘Directive to Physicians’ or ‘Advance Directive’), is a document that allows you to state your wishes for end-of-life medical care in case you become unable to communicate your wishes due to an illness or condition. For example, in a Living Will you can set out when and in what circumstances you would wish to refuse medical or life-sustaining treatment in the future.
If you are concerned about making sure your wishes are known should you become very unwell, we can advise you on how best to do so. Depending on your circumstances, you may wish to write a Living Will, or you may find that a Lasting Power of Attorney would be better suited to your needs.
When should I make a Living Will?
A Living Will can be made at any time and is a useful addition to any standard Will that you make. However, if you have been diagnosed with an illness or condition and you are concerned about making sure your wishes are known should you become very unwell, we can help you make your Living Will.
Please note that, depending on your circumstances, you may want to make a Living Will, but a Lasting Power of Attorney would better suit your needs. We can advise you which works better for you when we have spoken to you. Find out more about Powers of Attorney here.
What is the process for making a Living Will and how much will it cost?
Making a Living Will is a relatively straightforward process. We will arrange an appointment to come and see you at your home and workplace (see our commitment to our clients here [need link to Law2U section], we will discuss with you your wishes in relation to your Living Will and then provide an assessment as to whether a Living Will or a Power of Attorney is appropriate for you and the content that will be required. We can then draft the appropriate document for you to put your mind at rest that your wishes will be carried if you become too unwell to make them known at a later stage.
Please see our Fees section for the cost of a Living Will and Powers of Attorney.
Why choose Leech & Co to make your Living Will
There are many reasons to choose Leech & Co, but we think the main ones are:
- We will always come to you and visit you in your home or at your workplace. We appreciate people have busy lives and may not want to visit a Solicitor’s office so we will not ask you to come to our office.
- We are Solicitors. This means we are fully regulated by the Solicitors’ Regulation Authority (SRA), we hold full professional insurance and everything you discuss with us is 100% confidential. We are bound by professional ethics which gives you the peace of mind that your interests are fully protected.
- We are experienced and expert Solicitors, but we pride ourselves on being friendly and approachable. We will listen to you, get to know you and understand your plans for the future. We can then provide you with the expert and practical legal advice that you need.
- We provide all-round legal advice to help you plan for, and protect, yours and your loved ones future.
- We offer fixed fees whenever we can, we discuss and agree our costs with you and ensure you are happy before we start work for you and we guarantee there are no hidden charges.
If you have any concerns or questions about Living Wills, contact one of our friendly team for a friendly, informal and free chat.